Wednesday 6 April 2016

Kwadwo Poku looking forward to play more games with New York City FC

Kwadwo Poku

Young Ghanaian midfielder Kwadwo Poku is looking forward to play more games for Major League Soccer side New York City FC.

Before the commencement of the 2016 MLS, Poku was named among players expected to shine in the league.

Even though he was not projected to start every game for NYCFC, Coach Patrick Vieira predicted that he (Poku) could be better than in his breakthrough 2015 season when he became the darling boy of the fans.

Poku, who had four goals and seven assists in 27 appearances, including six starts, a year ago, was an unused substitute in NYCFC’s first three games but managed to play 76 minutes in their fourth game against Gershon Koffie’s New England Revolution.


After that game, Poku said he gave his best to the team.

“It was my first game for the season with the team. I personally think I made an impression to the coach.

‘I have been with these guys over a year now. I think we understand each other very well”.

Poku admitted that he will need to work hard to get more playing time under coach Vieira even though he does not believe the presence of the big guys are affecting his playing chances.


“Every player will be looking for more games. I am really looking forward to play more games.

“I don’t think my playing chances are affected by the presence of the big guys. The coaches know better. They know what I can bring to the team and we all are different kinds of players so their presence does not affect me in any way”.

The young midfielder said he was learning a lot from those experienced players in order to sharpen his own skills.

“They’ve played in the higher leagues and the World Cups. It is every player’s dream to play at that level so I respect them a lot and I really take a lot of advice from them”.

Kwadwo Poku intimated that NYCFC are on the right track as they prepare to host David Accam’s Chicago Fire this weekend.


“We are pushing; we’ve lost a game so far out of four games. I don’t think it is a bad start but this is not where we want to be - winning a game, tying two games and losing one – at the same time it is better than losing all those games. So I think we are still on the right track”.

More news on Ghanaian footballers in the US and Canada on Ghana Soccer US


No comments:

Post a Comment